Prof. G. L. Datta had joined K L University
in June 2009 as the Founder Vice-Chancellor and he provided guidance and
direction to the university to its multidimensional growth including moving
towards its mission to be a research university.
Dr. Datta received education for B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D
degrees at IIT Kharagpur, the Premier Technological Institute in the Country. He
has been serving the alma mater for close to four decades as a distinguished
Teacher, renowned Researcher and able Administrator.
He has handled a large number of projects sponsored by the Govt of
India and Private organizations in the fields of Welding and Foundry.
His research contributions which are more than 250 have appeared in
several peer reviewed Indian and International journals and Conference
proceedings. He has guided a large number of Ph.D and Master Degree theses. In
recognition of his contributions, he has been honored with a number of awards
such as the "The Corps of Engineers Prize:1994-95" by the Institution of
Engineers (India) for his contribution on Cast Iron Welding, the "Anna
University National Award for Outstanding Academic of the Year 1998" by the
Indian Society for Technical Education In recognition of his contribution in
teaching-learning process and research attainment, "Sir L P Misra Memorial
Award for the year 1999" by the Indian Institute of Welding, in appreciation
of the research contribution made by Dr. Datta in the field of Welding
Technology. Dr. Datta is also the recipient of the prestigious "Professor B.
Karunesh Memorial Lecture" delivered at the 44th Congress of the
Indian Society for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. More recently, he was
awarded the prestigious ‘IIF Fellowship’ in recognition of his
contribution made to the Institute of Indian Foundrymen and the Foundry
Industry. He also received the "Kulwant Rai Memorial Award" of the
EIILM University, Sikkim and the very prestigious "Life Time Achievement
Award" of the IIW-India. He has co-authored a Text Book and an Indian
On four occasions, he was selected by the Institute of Indian
Foundrymen to present Official Exchange Papers from India at different
World Foundry Congresses such as Prague (Czechoslovakia), Geyongju (South Korea)
and Istanbul (Turkey). He was chosen to be a Member of a World Bank funded visit
He has held several administrative positions at his parent institute
including that of Dean, Chairman of a Dept, and so on, and responsible positions
in many Professional Societies including the Indian Institute of Welding,
Institute of Indian Foundrymen, The Institution of Engineers (India), Indian
Society for Technical Education, Investment Casting Society, etc.
Professor Datta is a Fellow of several Professional Societies including
the Institution of Engineers (India), IIW-India, etc., and has traveled widely
all over the world.
- "The Corps of Engineers Prize: 1994-95"awarded
by the Institution of Engineers (India) for the meritorious
contribution made on Cast Iron Welding.
- "Anna University National Award for the Outstanding
Academic of the Year 1998" awarded by the
Indian Society for Technical Education in recognition of
his contribution in teaching and learning process, continuing
education and research attainment.
- "Sir L P Misra Memorial Award for the year 1999"
awarded by the Indian Institute of Welding in
appreciation of the research contribution made in the field of
- "Professor B. Karunesh Memorial Lecture"delivered
at the 44th Congress of the Indian Society for
Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.
- "IIF Fellowship" in recognition of
meritorious contribution made to the Institute of Indian
Foundrymen and the Foundry Industry.
- "Kulwant Rai Memorial Award" of
the EIILM University, Sikkim.
- "Life Time Achievement Award" of
- "Best Paper Award for 1990-91"of
the Institution of Engineers (India).
- "Best Paper Award" among the
papers presented at the Seminar on ‘Emerging Trends in Welding
Technology’ organized by the IIW Delhi Branch, 1998.
- Secretary of International Commission of World Foundry Organization
(No. 6.0) on Solid State Treatment of Cast Irons (‘05).
- Organising Chairman, 16th
Indian Engineering Congress, The Institution of Engineers (India), IIT
Kharagpur, Dec 1-4, 2001.
- National Vice-President, Indian Institute of Welding (1996-97).
- Chairman, Welding Educational Sub-Committee, IIW (1992-97 & 2001
- 02 ).
- Chairman, Technical Committee
(July 1997), National Welding Meet, IIW, Calcutta.
- Chairman (1999), Technical Committee, 6th
Asian Foundry Congress and 47th Indian Foundry Congress, The
Institute of Indian Foundrymen.
- Chairman (1997 – Continuing), Centre for Education and Training,
The Institute of Indian Foundrymen.
- Vice President (’06), Investment Casting Society.
- Vice-Chairman (1995-96) and Chairman (1996-99), Calcutta Chapter,
The Institute of Indian Foundrymen.
(1999-2001) and Chairman (2001-02), Eastern Region, The Institute of
- Member (1999-2001), National Council, The Institute of Indian
- Chairman (1995-96 & ’06), West Bengal Section, The Indian Society
for Technical Education.
- Chairman (1995-97), IIT Kharagpur Chapter, The Indian Society for
- Member (1997-99), National Executive Council, The Indian Society
for Technical Education.
- Hony Secretary
(1984-88) and Chairman (1990-92), Kharagpur Local Centre, The
Institution of Engineers (India).
- Member, High Power Review Committee for NIFFT Ranchi constituted
by the MHRD.
- Member, Expert Team from India for visiting Bangladesh at the
invitation of SEDF of the World Bank Group.
- Member, West Bengal Council for Technical Education (1996- ‘02).
- Member, PG Board of Studies, Regional Engineering College,
- Member, PG Board of Studies (1996-98) and Academic Committee
(2000- ‘05), University College of Engineering, Burla, Orissa.
- Member (1994-96), Board of School of Engineering and Technology,
Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- Member, Board of Academic Advisory Council, IEC College of Engg &
Tech, Greater Noida, UP.
- Member (1994-96), Advisory Committee, Eastern Regional Branch,
Small Industries Development of India (SIDBI).
- Member (2001 - 2002) and Chairman (2003-2006) NBA Expert
- Vice-Chair (Maths & Sc) (2002-03), SAE International , Eastern
- Member, NDT Sectional Committee, BIS (1988 – 90).
- Member, Project Review Committee, DST.
- Chairman, Technology Coop Poultry Ltd (1988 – 90).
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, IGOU, Delhi.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, REC, Silchar.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, BHU, Varanasi.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, JU, Kolkata.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, Biju Pattanaik
University for Technology, Orissa.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, Saroj Mohan Institute
of Technology, Gupti Para, Hooghly, West Bengal.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, Bengal Engineering
and Science University, Sibpur, Kolkata.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, OUAT, Bhubaneswar.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, IGIT, Sarang.
- Member, Faculty Selection Committee, NERIST, Itanagar, Arunachal
- Speaker for State-of-Art Lecture,
Seminar onganised by DST.
- Chief Guest at a Seminar, organized by OUAT, Bhubaneswar.
- Key-Note Speaker at a Seminar organized by IGIT, Sarang.
- Key-Note Speaker at a Seminar organized by MIT, Bishnupur.
- Chief Guest, Conference on Advances and Trends in Manufacturing,
Govt Engg College, Kalyani.
- Key Note Speaker, Seminar on NDT at G B Pant University,
- Referee, Journal of Material Processing Technology, Elsivier
- Reviewer, J of Material Science, CSIR publicatuion.
- Reviewer, J of Institution of Engineers.
- Reviewer, International Journal of Production Research, UK.
- Member, Editorial Board, Indian Foundry Journal.
- Referee (Project Proposal), International Copper Association and
the University of Chile.
- Judge for Research Award, Indian Institute of Welding.
- Reviewer, 21st
AIMTDR Conference Papers, Vellore Institute of Technology.
- Session Chairman, Technical Sessions in various conferences,
- Ph D Thesis Examiner: IIT Chennai, IIT Mumbai, IIT Delhi, IIT
Roorkee, BHU, Jadavpur University, Bhagalpur University, JNTU, etc.
- Chairman of AICTE appointed NBA Teams
for accreditation visit to a large number of institutions.
- Chairman of UGC appointed Teams
for visiting institutions for according autonomy status.
- Member of UGC appointed Teams
for visiting institutions for granting Deemed to be University status.