About Food Technology
Food Technology is a science which deals with the techniques and principles involved in processing and preserving the food substances. The application of food science helps in manufacturing safe, wholesome and nutritious food products. The study of food technology is to develop new methods and systems for keeping food products safe and resistant from natural harms such as bacteria and other micro-organisms. Food processing helps in preservation enhances the flavor and reduces the toxins in the food product which results in better distributional efficiency and easy marketing of the food product.
Vision of Department
To nurture the graduates with a sense of basic knowledge, creativity and innovation in Food Processing Technology
Mission of Department:
To impart high quality education to build the students aptitude and argument their abilities to make them globally competitive Food Technologists
To change state of the skill exploration facilities to provide cooperative environment that stimulates the chances to generate, investigate, smear and spread knowledge.
M1: To impart high quality education to build the students aptitude in Food Technology
M2: To impart high quality education to augment their abilities to make them globally competitive Food Technologist.
M3: To change state of the skill exploration facilities to provide cooperative environment to generate and investigate knowledge.
M4: To change state of the skill exploration facilities to stimulates the chances to smear and spread knowledge.
1. To offer academic flexibility by means of choice based credit system
2. To incorporate practical orientation courses and use creative and innovative competence for academic delivery.
3. To design and implement education system adhering to outcome based international models.
4. To introduce and implement innovation in teaching and learning process to strengthen academic delivery.
5. To identify new techniques and trends followed in food technology industry and incorporating in academic learning.
6. To design and implement the curriculum responsibility in society and ethical values on industry basis.
7. To deliver the courses in a demonstrative method of professionalism and leadership skills
Program Educational Objectives (PEO’s)
PEO 1 Mould the students into food technology professionals for successful career in academics and industry.
PEO 2 Make students competent in the core and allied areas of food science and technology.
PEO 3 Motivate the prospective food technologists to follow ethics and morals in their professional growth.
PEO 4 Equip the graduates for becoming entrepreneurs.
PEO 5 Prepare the students to serve the society and address global food security challenges through their profession.
Program Outcomes (PO’s)
1. Knowledge in Food Science & Nutrition: Illustrate the chemical and physical properties of major food components, and the role of food processing in altering the composition, structures and functions.
2. Biochemical composition of foods: Recognize and distinguish the components, molecular structures and properties of major food components, influencing the functional properties of food molecules.
3. Microbial investigation on food spoilage: Identify the important pathogens and spoilage microorganisms in foods and compare the role and significance of microbial inactivation, adaptation on growth and response of microorganisms in various environments.
4. Design new inventions: Apply principles of food technology to design solutions for real time problems in Food Industry.
5. Usage of Modern Tools: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern technologies and tools with an understanding of the limitations.
6. Entrepreneur: Demonstrate knowledge of entrepreneurship and innovation, start, run and finish on enterprise.
7. Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. The Hospitality and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex technological activities with the food industry community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Life-long learning: Recognize the need of self education and life-long learning process in order to keep abreast with the ongoing developments in the field of food technology.
12. Analysis of food products: Ability to identify, formulate, conduct research literature and analyze complex cooking problems using principles of microbiology, biochemistry and processing techniques.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO’s)
1. Recognize the composition of food, the role of each component and their interactions, their roles in food processing.
2. Will be able to illustrate the importance of microbiology to food production and food safety.
3. Can design food plant, identify the instruments required for processing by understanding principles followed by preservation techniques, and successful packaging method employment with good marketing skills.