Department of Biotechnology is recognised and funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST) under Fund for Improvement of Science and Technology Infrastructure (FIST).
Universities are cradles of innovation and knowledge creation. Research in universities has three-tier effects concerned with quality of under-graduate & postgraduate education and value of research. They are the source of generating high caliber manpower and repositories of national intellectual wealth in Science & Technology (S&T) sector, which if channelized properly, may lead to socioeconomic development.
In the emerging global scenario, India can be an ideal destination due to its cost effectiveness and availability of knowledge base. It must also aim for a permanent position in the field of Science & Technology. Considering the present status of the S&T sector in the universities and related academic institutions who are in dire need for strengthening the existing S&T infrastructure support with adequate funding and associated flexibility, Government of India in the year 2000 announced a major new initiative titled "Fund for Improvement of S&T infrastructure in universities & higher educational institutions (FIST)" to rebuild the Science & Technology infrastructure in the country.
- Initiated in Financial Year 2000-01
- 13 rounds of support provided, 14th round is in progress.
- Operated at three levels i.e. Level-0 for PG Colleges, Level-I & Level-II for University/ Institute Departments/ Schools for 6 subject areas i.e. Life, Physical, Chemical, Engineering, Earth & Atmospheric and Mathematical Sciences.
- Covers all sectors of Science & Technology departments including Agriculture, Veterinary & Medical having Post-Graduate teaching & research program of 3 years in existence.
- Two-tier mechanism i.e. Subject Expert Committee & FIST Advisory Board (FISTAB) for identification & recommendation of support to a Department/Centre/School.
- Around 1980 Departments identified & supported at a total budget of almost Rs. 1700 crores.
About Biotechnology Department:
The Department of Biotechnology at K L Deemed to be University was established in the year 2002-03 with an aim to provide scientific and technical solutions to mankind. Biotechnology is a congregation of science and technology which embeds basic principles of Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology. The Department went for accreditation by NBA of AICTE for the first time in 2007, and was accredited for three years. The department also attracts foreign students from Middle east, African counties, Nepal and Bhutan.
The Department offers a four year undergraduate engineering degree in Biotechnology with specializations in Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Bio fuels and Genetic Engineering. The department has on offer a post graduate course in Biotechnology, in which is embedded a one year project in an industry/research organization. The Department offers PhD programs in vivid specializations on a full time and part time basis.
Highlights of the Department:
- State of the art student?s lab worth of 6 Crores.
- 10 crores project from National and International Funding Agencies (DBT, DST, ICMR?.)
- Flexible and industry oriented curriculum.
- MOUs with ICRISAT, SNEHABIOTECH & SCHRODINGER.
- Visiting faculty from international top Universities.
- Department having 25 faculty members with PhD.
- Cell culture lab for research on cancer, diabetes, &Obesity.
- Student paper publications in reputed Journals.
- Interaction with foreign faulty through webinars, video conferences etc.
- Summer intense ship at foreign faculty Universities.
- Practice school program to enhance employability & entrepreneurship.